Saturday, January 3, 2009

A Day Trip To Galveston

Today we spent the day in Galveston visiting with one of my lifelong friends, Hope. I have known Hope since the second grade, and we have lots of fun memories from growing up in a small town. Hope and her husband, Damon, came down to visit her parents who live in Galveston. Luckily, there house had very little damage, but some of the other home in Pirate's Beach weren't as lucky.
One of the houses was in the process of being moved to a different location. Apparently, the vegetation line decides what homes become the property of the state. So many of the homes will have to be torn down or moved off the "new" public beaches. The boys had way too much fun climbing and running on the exposed geotubes. I was checking out all the shells, and the clear water. I was surprised that the water was so clear........it was also alittle eerie when the fog began to roll in.
I have to say I expected things to look alot worse than they did. There were still boats along 61st street, and lots of debris in areas. But the folks are really doing a good job cleaning & rebuilding the city. I think I'll have to make another trip to see the East side of the Island, we only saw West of 61st along the seawall.






No comments: