Monday, December 28, 2009

Christmas Day at our house

I guess you can tell that Christmas is a multi-day event for us! Believe it or not, Christmas Day is very relaxing and quiet at our house. We've been known to sleep in until 10:30 or so, depending on how late we stay at the Christmas Eve party. My kids were never those "wake before the sun is up" sorta kids. Mostly because I'm mean when I don't get my sleep, and they know it!!! So here are some photos from us just hanging around the house enjoying the day. It was a good day..........




In case anyone noticed.........their is an empty plate in a photo of Ethan. That would be because I made breakfast for the first time on Christmas Day!!! WooHoo, what fun that was. I made this really yummy egg, sausage, & potato casserole with biscuits on the side. It was fun to nibble on something besides cereal on Christmas morning! Here's the recipe, just in case anyone wants to make it on New Year's Day:

Brunch For A Bunch
from Southern Living Our Best One-Dish Meals
1 pound ground hot pork sausage
3 cups frozen hash brown potatoes, thawed
3 cups (12oz)shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 cup chopped green pepper
12 large eggs, lightly beaten(I used eggbeaters)
2 cups milk
1/2 tsp salt

Brown sausage in a skillet, drain off grease. Place hash browns in a 9X13 glass pyrex sprayed with Pam. Layer cooked sausage, cheese, and chopped green peppers evenly over hash browns. Combine eggs, milk, and salt in a large bowl, stirring with a wire whisk until blended; pour egg mixture over chopped green pepper layer. Bake at 350 for 50 minutes or until golden brown.
Of course, I had to alter this recipe to "work" for me.......first I used the hash browns with the pepper & onions already in them and omitted the 1/2 cup chopped peppers. I'm sure that I didn't use 3 cups of cheese either!!! Then I used eggbeaters and cut way back on the milk......I used about one cup in my casserole. I hate soggy eggs!!! Hope you enjoy it!!! There is also a crockpot version of this recipe, but I usually don't wake up early enough to have it ready serve for breakfast!!!

1 comment:

Debbie said...

I'm glad to see that you got your MAC for Christmas! If you decide to take up knitting again, just let me know if you need any help. I knit at night while we are watching TV.