Thursday, October 23, 2008

What's For Dinner


I haven't made shepherd's pie in a long time, and the cool weather we are having inspired me to dig out my recipe and make it for dinner tonight. I love making comfort foods. I think chicken and dumplings will be next on my list . So here's my recipe from my favorite Pampered Chef cookbook:
Shepherd's Pie
2 cups lean ground beef (I use ground buffalo)
1/2 cup onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, pressed
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. dried thyme leaves
1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
2 cups frozen mixed vegetables
1 12 oz jar beef gravy
4 servings (about 2 cups) hot prepared instant mashed potatoes(I used the new mashed steamables by birdseye)
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese(I used more, as you tell by the picture!!)
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Brown ground meat in skillet. Add garlic and onion, cook until tender. Stir in seasonings, frozen vegetables, and gravy. Bring to boil; spoon into a baking dish.
3. Prepare potatoes according to package directions, mix half of the cheese with the potatoes. I used the Pampered Chef Accent Decorator to pipe the pototoes around the edge of the baking dish over the meat mixture. I normally just scoop the pototoes around the edge of the baking dish. Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the potatoes.
4. Bake 30 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Happy Cooking!!! Rita

No comments: